Please first try to update to firmware 1.4.0 and set the USB mode to "Default". If that doesn't help, follow these instructions:
- Go into Settings and select Apps and Notifications (see all apps)
- Select Android Auto
- Select Advanced
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and select Additional settings in the app (this will open the AA settings)
- Scroll all the way to the bottom to the Version number
- Tap 10 times until it says you have unlocked Developer settings
- Now you can select Developer settings from menu by clicking the three dots in the top right of the screen.
- Enable "Request video focus on start"